fbpx

Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Discussions Surfboards & Equipment Advice for My Next Board Reply To: Advice for My Next Board

• Tabbi

Administrator
    August 13, 2022 at 12:15 am

Hey Jochen,

Thanks for reaching out. Choosing the right board can be a tricky task for sure. You’re on the right track by starting by taking into account your weight, your surfing level and the surfing conditions you will be surfing in. Sounds like you’ve definitely done some research!

You mentioned that you are after a new board that gives you 1. increased paddle speed and 2. maneuverability to start learning carving and even turning. Probably the first thing to remember is that surfboard shapes are all about compromise. Add volume, you gain floatation and stability but you lose manoeuvrability. Add rocker, you gain performance and responsiveness, but you lose speed and paddling into waves becomes harder. With that being said, both boards you have sent through are great brands and well known. They are the exact same length and very similar in volume. They also are both Epoxy construction, which will absolutely help to increase your paddle power. Off to a good start. However, the main difference between the two is the tail shape and fin setup. I would recommend you have a look at our free articles so that you have a better understanding of surfboard tail shapes, fins and their effects. This should help you make your decision to see which of these setups best fits your surfing level skill/ability. You can find them below:

https://tutorials.barefootsurftravel.com/articles/different-surfboard-tail-shapes/
    https://tutorials.barefootsurftravel.com/articles/surfboard-fin-setups-explained/

Once you have had a look over, feel free to reach out again if you have any other questions. Both boards are great options, it just depends which tail/fin setup you think will suit your skill level and the waves you will be riding consistently at your local break.

Hope this helps with making your decision!

-Tab

Different Surfboard Tail Shapes