fbpx

Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Discussions Surfboards & Equipment Transitioning to smaller boards Reply To: Transitioning to smaller boards

• Randall

December 2, 2021 at 3:30 am

Hola,

Here’s what I found out and my thoughts.

I have the 9′ board. Originally, I was thinking 8’4″ board. I came across a Culture Surf Board at a shop in Oregon – 8’4″ at a good price. I was stoked. After looking at the Culture SurfBoard web site and talking to the Support/Sales guy, I was more interested in the Fun Ride board and the Egg Ride board. These were shorter boards, 8′ and less. But, they appeared to have a good shape and volume that allowed one to easily catch waves. The Fun board supposedly turns a little easier than the Egg, because the tip is less rounded. The Egg has slightly more volume, which is why I am leaning towards the Egg. The Sales guy feels that I could go down to a 7’6″. I don’t know, that seems like a big jump down. People giving reviews seem to back up the “big step down” claim. Only a few reviews though. The Sales guy stresses volume over looking at pure dimensions.

Right now, I am leaning towards an epoxy, 8′ Egg. It changes frequently though.

There is a local shaper, but he is more expensive with a 3 month backlog. We only talked briefly though about design.

Here’s the specs for the boards I am looking at. You can also go to their web site, so see specs for all their boards.

Egg: 8′ x 23″ x 3.2″, 64.18 Liters

Fun: 8′ x 22.8″ x 3.2″, 62.27 Liters

Mini Mal, 8’4″ x 23″ x 3.2″ 68.97 L

My current 9′ Torq, 9′ x 22 3/4” 3 1/8” 72 L

Who knows, doesn’t a quiver need 3 boards? Maybe a small Fun Ride board, 7′ 2″ – here’s to dreaming.